Painting the Exterior of Your House
Painting the exterior of you house is an investment in the value and appearance of one of your greatest assets. It can sometimes be difficult and time consuming, but it’s definitely worth it.
How Often Should I Paint the Exterior of my Home?
Most experts say that you’ll need to paint the exterior of your home every five to ten years. Of course that depends on factors such as where you live, the climate anD the weather. The quality of the previous paint job is also a big factor.
Add to the above and then factor in that every painted surface is different. For instance:
- Painted aluminum siding and stucco usually lasts for about 5 years
- Wood siding needs to be repainted every 4 years if it’s stained or every 3-7 years if it’s painted.
- Painted brick can last about 15-20 years before needing repainting.
For the best results, you should pick an exterior paint that's has high-quality resins, pigments, and additives. Start with a clean, smooth surface for the new paint finish to stick to and you should have a finish that not only looks great, but lasts.
How do I Know When it’s Time to Paint?
There are certain signs to know when it’s time to paint your house. Here are some of them:
- Fading – You would think that exterior paint would resist fading, but nothing can totally protect against UV rays from the sun. The sun beating directly on to your house on a daily basis can cause color lightening especially if the color is dark.
- Flaking, bubbling or cracking – Our hot weather and high humidity in Myrtle Beach, as well as frequent rainstorms can cause havoc to the paint on your house. These conditions can also signal dry rot, wet rot or even mold.
- Cracks in stucco – If your house in covered in stucco, the best time to repaint your home is when you are patching cracks. If you repaint the entire house, then you won’t be left with streaks or a patchwork look.
- Curb appeal – Everyone wants the best looking house on the block! If you are thinking of selling your home, this is one investment that is worth it.
Should I Hire a Professional to Paint my House?
Is it always necessary to hire a professional? Not necessarily. People nowadays want to save money and DIY projects certainly can help. You also need to be smart, just because you can do it on your own doesn’t mean that you should.
There are a lot of things to consider when you decide to paint the exterior of your house.
Time. How long will an exterior paint job take? It depends on the amount of work that needs to be done before painting begins. Do you have to scrape old peeling paint? How clean is your house - do you have to power wash it first?
Do you have the tools? Ladders, prep materials such as scrub brushes and bleach, drop cloths and rags, caulk, paint brushes and rollers, paint sprayer, and the list goes on. If you don’t already own the above tools, what is the cost to buy or rent them?
What’s the cost? Along with the cost of the tools, another consideration is the cost of the paint itself.
Is it a one story home? If yes, then you may want to try it yourself. But beware – this is most likely not a one weekend project.
Two or more story homes should be left to professionals. Extension ladders, scaffolding, and landscaping should all taken into consideration when making this decision.
Dormer windows or special designs? Pros can make quick work of these areas, where it may be too much for a DIY homeowner.
Hire the Professionals at OLT Painting
When you hire OLT Painting to paint the exterior of your house, you can be sure that it will be done correctly and quickly. We use high quality paints to make sure that the paint looks great and lasts.
Making an investment in quality material and professional labor will virtually guarantee that you won't have to spend the money again anytime soon.
It makes sense that you should consider having your home painted to improve your curb appeal when selling your house. My wife and I are interested in selling our home so that we can move closer to where I work, but we are worried that the chipped, brown paint on our house's exterior could make a bad first impression. Maybe I should hire a paint contractor to help make our house more attractive.
You have a great point, if you are thinking about selling your home you should consider painting exterior. This would not just add value but would add curb appeal, that is the first thing potential buyers will see when going to see a home for sale.
We have done many exterior throughout the area and faced many challenges as far as peeling paint goes but we can always make a home look like a brand new and sometimes the cost is less than what homeowners think.